Sunday 17 August 2008

Catharsis

So due to the fact that the technical teachers were from the dinosaur era, during my ESE, I became the only person in that department who actually liked using computers and all the gadgety stuff...

I was tasked to prepare a lesson that was identified as just not working out at all. So I used MS PowerPoint with all the related animation to show how to start drawing and measurements to take note off, and used Photoshop to aid me in things like coloring surfaces to make it clearer for understanding. Plus, I integrated the softwares like Solidworks and Rhinoceros that are pretty commonly used in the industry (since I have a degree in Industrial Design which was where I was forced to learn these things) to show things like hidden lines and perspective views that are pretty difficult for the students to comprehend. And lastly, bothered to go for the workshop for teachers to use the software Lectora to prepare E-Learning material so that for the first time in history, D&T was involved in the E-Learning week (although none of the students did it because they never thought D&T could ever prepare an E-Learning course). Yes I could say that I was feeling rather smug about myself then.

It all sounds fine and dandy. And considering the time and effort, really diligent and hardworking. The drawing presentation I did impressed my subject head so much that he wanted me to take over the other teacher's classes. And I more or less got the shove over by that teacher who was supposed to take that lesson so the presentation I did more or less became research material to disect and analyse to the both of them (I had to surrender the presentation and that's that).

Well, on the bright side, I did manage to handle the whole Image Boards creation topic (which is one hour per class for that week) to the students at least in the end (because everyone being engineers, no one really knew how to do it so once again, things got shoved over to me.. And I really wonder if D&T teachers go back for some content upgrading??? I was the only person who knew that the products seen on the cover of the textbook was actually designed by a famous Italian designer!) And the students came up and told me that for once, D&T was fun and exciting. I think that was simply the highlight of my stint there.

And to end off this frustration which I am just letting out here, I was told in the end of my ESE that I would make an excellent teacher blah blah blah, but there was no hope of returning to that school unless one of them transferred out or the other one retired. So could I please just surrender all my work to them and good luck to the rest of my life byebye. It feels like I was already dragged into some kind of politics that I was just simply blind towards, and didn't and still don't care about.

To end off, the future is here. But if dinosaur men don't wanna join the future... *ROAR*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do be careful about implicating the school where this happened. I recommend that you remove the graphic and let your peers read about your experience.

As for what happened, let us just say that what goes around, comes around. Things have a way to returning to haunt or reward you. Likewise for your ESE colleagues.

It is best to behave professionally even when others don't reciprocate. You may not be able to fight against a system or more experienced people, but you can certainly hold moral high ground! You also know what your students felt and that is more important. :)

Dr Tan

Dr Tan